Vietnamese Shredded Chicken and Cabbage Salad
Preparation: 20 min.
Cooking: 20 min.
Total: 40 min.
- 2 Cup chicken stock
- 1 Asian poaching bouquets , containing ginger root, star anise, and scallion, cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 Lb boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 serrano or jalapeno peppers , very finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 4 Fl Oz fish sauce
- 4 Tbsp fresh grapefruit juice
- 4 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3 large fresh carrots , peeled and grated
- 1/2 Lb shredded red cabbage
- 1 Lb white cabbage , finely shredded
- 2 Tbsp fresh mint , finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp cilantro , leaves
- 4 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 grapefruits , cut into sections, peeled and pithed, for garnish
- 4 fresh mint sprigs , to garnish
- 4 cilantro sprigs , for garnish
Bring chicken stock and poaching bouquet to a boil in a medium high-sided skillet. Lower the heat, simmer, cover, and cook for 5 minutes. Lightly salt the liquid if desired, add the chicken breasts, and poach for 8-10 minutes, or until chicken is done. The breasts will be firm to the touch when pressed with the back of a fork. Remove to a plate and cool slightly.
Shred the breast meat with 2 forks and chill, covered with plastic wrap. Place the chilies, garlic, and sugar in the bowl of a blender or mini food processor. Process to a spreadable consistency. Transfer to a small bowl, stir in the fish sauce, grapefruit juice, and lime juice.
Combine the carrots, cabbages, chicken, mint, cilantro, and sesame seeds and toss to mix in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle on the dressing and toss to coat well. Marinate for 15 minutes.
Turn the salad onto a serving platter. Garnish with grapefruit sections, fresh mint sprigs, and cilantro sprigs.