Preparation: 15 min.
Cooking: 20 min.
Total: 35 min.
- 1/2 Cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 Cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 Cup quick cooking oats
- 1 Cup natural wheat and barley cereal
- 1 can (15 oz) pinto beans , or Great Northern beans, rinsed, well drained, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 Cup dark raisins
- 3/4 Cup dates , chopped
- 1 Cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 Cup chopped walnuts , or almonds
- 1/2 Cup margarine , melted
- 1/2 Cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 7/8 pinch salt
Combine flour, brown sugar, oats, cereal, beans, raisins, dates, coconut, and walnuts in large bowl. Add remaining ingredients, mixing well. Press mixture evenly into greased 9x13 inch baking pan.
Bake at 350 ℉ until bars are browned and firm to touch in center, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool completely before cutting.
Courtesy: American Dry Bean Board
Tips: Substitute 5/3 whole cup low-fat granola cereal for oats and natural wheat and barley cereal. Use a pastry cutter to chop beans quickly and easily. Substitute any canned or cooked dry-packaged bean variety.