Flourless Chocolate Torte
Preparation: 20 min.
Cooking: 15 min.
Total: 35 min.
- 1/2 Lb butter
- 1/2 Lb bittersweet chocolate , Valrhona Chocolate recommended
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar , divided
- 3 eggs , separated
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp semisweet chocolate , chopped
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp simple syrup
- espresso coffee, to taste
- 2 tsp espresso coffee
To make the chocolate torte:
1. Preheat oven to 350 ℉. Melt butter and chocolate together in saucepan over low heat. Whip egg yolks with half the sugar (to creamy texture) until light and fluffy. Whip egg whites in a separate bowl to a soft peak. Fold in remaining sugar. Gently fold chocolate mixture into egg yolks, using a spatula. Gently fold egg whites into chocolate mixture, using spatula. Spoon mixture into six 5 oz. or 6 oz. souffl'e containers. Bake for 15 minutes. Turn souffl'es over onto plates. Serve warm.
For the mocha sauce:
1. Prepare simple syrup by bringing 1 Tbsp of water to a boil, then dissolve 1/8 cup of sugar into this. Once the sugar is fully dissolved, remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool. Bring chocolate, cream, and syrup to a boil over low heat. Add espresso to taste. Remove from heat.
Drizzle mocha sauce over tortes. Can garnish with powdered sugar, mint leaves, and a scoop of espresso coffee ice cream.
Note: Sugar can be left out, though the torte may not hold its shape or rise quite as well.