Preparation: 15 min.
Cooking: 40 min.
Total: 55 min.
- 2 1/4 Cup unbleached all purpose flour , sifted
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt (necessary)
- 2 tsp ground ginger , or 3 Tbsp fresh gingerroot, peeled and grated and 3 Tbsp crystallized ginger, minced3 Tbsp
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves , ground
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1/2 Cup unsalted butter , melted, then cooled to room temperature
- 6 Fl Oz unsulphured molasses
- 3/4 Cup granulated sugar
- 4 Fl Oz buttermilk
- 4 Fl Oz lowfat milk
- 1 large eggs
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1/2 Cup light frozen whipped topping
Preheat oven to 350 ℉. Sift first 9 ingredients together in a bowl using low speed of an electric mixer. Beat butter and next 5 ingredients together in another bowl. Add dry ingredients to liquid. Beat on medium speed about 1 minute, until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl. Do not overmix. (If using fresh ginger, batter will be lumpy.)
Pour batter into a nonstick 7x11 inch rectangular metal baking pan that has been coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake 35-45 minutes, or until edges have pulled away from pan sides and top is springy. For a lighter gingerbread, cover loosely with aluminum foil during the last 15 minutes of baking. Let cake cool in pan on a wire rack 5 minutes. Invert onto serving plate, cut and serve with a dollop of topping.