James Beard's Amazing Persimmon Bread Recipe
Preparation: 15 min.
Cooking: 60 min.
Total: 75 min.
- 3 1/2 Cup sifted flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 Cup sugar
- 1 Cup melted unsalted butter , cooled to room temperature
- 4 large eggs , at room temperature, lightly beaten
- 5 1/4 Fl Oz cognac , bourbon or whiskey
- 4 squishy-soft persimmons , pureed (about 2 cups of puree)
- 2 Cup walnuts or pecans , toasted and chopped
- 2 Cup raisins , or diced dried fruits (such as apricots, cranberries, or dates)
Note: Using the higher amount of sugar will produce a moister and, of course, sweeter bread.
Butter two 9 inch loaf pans. Line the bottoms with a piece of parchment paper or dust with flour and tap out any excess. Preheat oven to 350 ℉. Sift the first 5 dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the center then stir in the butter, eggs, liquor, persimmon puree then the nuts and raisins.
Bake 1 hour or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Storage: Will keep for about a week, if well-wrapped, at room temperature. The Persimmon Breads take well to being frozen, too.