Southwestern Cheese, Sausage and Cornbread Strata
Preparation: 20 min.
Cooking: 70 min.
Total: 90 min.
- 3 tsp vegetable oil , plus more for pan
- 1 Lb spiced Italian or breakfast sausage
- 1 medium white onions , finely chopped
- 1/2 Lb frozen corn , thawed
- 2 Cup thick salsa , excess liquid drained
- 1 1/2 Lb prepared cornbread , cut in 1 inch squares and left to dry slightly
- 3/4 Lb Wisconsin Mexican-style or cheddar cheese blend, shredded, divided.
- 12 eggs
- 1 1/2 Pint milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp diced jalapeno pepper
Preheat oven to 350 ℉. Lightly grease half hotel pan (about 10x12 inch) or 12 Texas muffin tins or personal pans. In large skillet, heat 1 Tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage and onion; sauté, breaking up sausage, about 5-7 minutes or until sausage is cooked through and onion is tender and opaque. Remove pan from heat and stir in corn, salsa and cornbread. Spread half of mixture into prepared pans.
Cover mixture with half of the cheese; top with remaining cornbread mixture. In large bowl; whisk together eggs, milk, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Pour over cornbread mixture. Lightly push down on mixture, allowing bread to soak up liquid. Bake about 1 hour (less for individuals pans or muffin tins), until lightly browned, puffed and an inserted knife comes out clean. During the last 10 minutes of baking, sprinkle jalapeños and remaining cheese over top and return to oven to melt. Serve warm.