Beet Cured Salmon Gravlax
Preparation: 15 min.
Cooking: 0 min.
Total: 15 min.
- 4 Tbsp Cointreau orange liqueur
- 1 large salmon fillet (2 lb), skin on
- 2 Cup kosher salt
- 2 Cup sugar
- 2 small beets , peeled and grated
- 3 tsp toasted fennel seed , crushed with a mortar and pestle
- 3 tsp chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 1 tsp freshly grated orange zest
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- cheesecloth , for wrapping, piece about 3 ft long
- bagels s and cream cheese for serving
Season the salmon. Rub the Cointreau over the salmon flesh. Combine the salt, sugar, beets, fennel seeds, tarragon, orange zest, and pepper in a medium bowl. Unfold the cheesecloth and lay it in a shallow pan large enough to hold the salmon, centering it so the edges are free to wrap over the fish. Spoon half the salt mixture into the pan, smoothing over the cheesecloth. Place the fish skin side down on top. Spoon the remaining salt mixture evenly over the fish, covering as much as possible.
Cure the salmon. Fold the cheesecloth edges up and over the fish. Place a heavy plate on top of wrapped fish and refrigerate for 24 hours.
Slice and serve. Remove the pan from the refrigerator. Unwrap the fish, brush aside the salt mixture, and lift the fish from the pan. Wash the fish under cold water to remove the remaining salt. Dry well with paper towels. Slice very thin, lift from the skin, and serve with toasted bagels and cream cheese.