Vegan Cherry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
Preparation: 20 min.
Cooking: 90 min.
Total: 110 min.
- 3/4 Cup non-dairy butter , cubed (such as Earth Balance Buttery Sticks) (or try half shortening)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 Fl Oz non-dairy sour cream (such as Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream)
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 Lb non-dairy cream cheese , softened (such as Galaxy Foods Cream Cheese Alternative)
- 4 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 3 tsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- 1 can (21 oz.) cherry pie filling , slightly drained
- 1/2 Cup slivered almonds
Preheat oven to 350 ℉. For cake: In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Reserve 3/4 cup crumb mixture. Add baking powder, baking soda, and salt to remaining crumb mixture. Stir in milk, sour cream, and almond extract until blended. Batter will be thick and sticky. Spread onto the bottom and 1 inch up the sides of an ungreased 9 inch spring-form pan with removable bottom. For filling: In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar for 1 minute. Add flour, cornstarch, milk, and lemon juice; beat just until combined. Spread over crust. Carefully top with pie filling. Sprinkle with almonds and reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 350 ℉ for 1 hour 30 minutes or until center is jiggly but firm. Cool on a wire rack until completely cooled. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; remove sides of pan. Store in the refrigerator.