Beefsteak, Cheese, Onion and Mushroom Grinder
Preparation: 10 min.
Cooking: 15 min.
Total: 25 min.
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium onions , sliced
- 1 medium green bell peppers , sliced into long strips
- 4 large, fresh mushrooms , sliced
- 1 1/2 Lb well-marbled boneless beef top sirloin steak , or other type of steak, sliced as thinly as possible
- 4 Tbsp chopped pickled jalapeno peppers , or other pickled hot pepper
- 3 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 6 slice Muenster cheese , or sharp cheddar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 French baguettes , cut in thirds then each third in half lengthwise
Melt half of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion; cook and stir until tender. Push onion to the side of the pan, and add the mushrooms. Cook and stir until softened, then add the bell pepper and cook just until tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon, and set aside.
Add the remaining butter to the skillet. No need to clean the pan, just let it heat up a little bit. Place the steak in the skillet along with the pickled peppers. Season with salt and pepper. The steak cooks really fast, just a couple of minutes. Once the steak is mostly browned, return the onion and pepper to the pan. Cook until heated through.
Turn off the heat, and place the slices of cheese over the top of the pile so they can melt. Scoop the whole pile into the awaiting bread, making sure to pour some of the juices onto that wonderful sandwich.