Sausage and Pepper Subs
Preparation: 5 min.
Cooking: 15 min.
Total: 20 min.
- 1 Lb Italian sausage , pricked with a fork
- 2 Tbsp dry white wine or water
- 4 Fl Oz water
- 1 Cup purchased spaghetti sauce
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onions , thinly sliced
- 1 green bell peppers , thinly sliced
- 4 submarine rolls , split
- 1/2 Cup shredded low fat mozzarella cheese
Bring first 3 ingredients to a boil in heavy nonstick pan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium low, cover pan and cook 5 minutes. Uncover, raise heat to medium and cook 5-7 minutes, turning sausages occasionally, until most of liquid is evaporated and meat is cooked throughout. Transfer sausages to a platter with tongs. Pour remaining liquid into spaghetti sauce. Add oil to same skillet over medium high heat. Cook onion and bell pepper 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned. Cut sausages into .5 inch slices and return to skillet. Stir in spaghetti sauce and cook 1 minute, or until heated through. Serve meat on rolls and sprinkle with cheese.