Split Pea Soup
Preparation: 10 min.
Cooking: 35 min.
Total: 45 min.
- 1 1/2 Lb split peas
- 1/2 Lb Italian turkey sausage
- 1 bay leaves
- 2 Quart chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 clove garlics , smashed and chopped
- 1 medium yellow onions , chopped
- 1 carrots , chopped
- 2 celery stalks , chopped
- 1/2 red bell peppers , chopped
- 4 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 4 Fl Oz skim milk
- hearty bread
- black pepper , ground
- hot pepper sauce
- 2 Tbsp parsley , chopped fine
- 6 Fl Oz plain low fat yogurt , stirred smooth
Wash and sort split peas in colander. Place Italian sausage, split peas, and all but last 7 ingredients in large, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 20 minutes. Shake flour and milk vigorously in container with tight-fitting lid. Shake until all lumps have disappeared. Stir gradually into boiling mixture. Wrap bread in foil and place in warm oven. Reduce heat under soup to low. Cook 10 minutes. Stir often. Add pepper, hot red pepper sauce, and parsley. Cook 5 minutes. Stir in yogurt just prior to serving. Remove from heat. Serve with warm hearty bread.