Chili Bean Snack Mix
Preparation: 15 min.
Cooking: 50 min.
Total: 65 min.
- 2 cans (15 oz) garbanzo beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 butter flavored vegetable cooking spray
- 4 Cup square rice cereal , or square wheat or corn cereal
- 2 Oz pretzel goldfish , or pretzel sticks
- 1/2 Lb mixed dried fruit , chopped
- 1/2 Lb dried pineapple chunks
- 1/2 Cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce , (reduced sodium optional)
- 1 1/4 Tbsp chili powder
- 3 tsp onion powder
- 3 tsp paprika
- 7/8 pinch salt (optional)
Dry garbanzo beans well on paper toweling. Place beans in large skillet and spray generously with cooking spray; cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until they begin to brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
Transfer beans to jelly roll pan and bake at 350 ℉ until browned and beginning to crisp on the outside, 20 to 25 minutes.
Transfer beans to large bowl; add cereal, pretzel sticks, dried fruit, pineapple chunks and pumpkin seeds. Combine Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, garlic and onion powder and paprika; add to snack mixture and toss to coat well. Spray mixture generously with cooking spray and toss.
Transfer mixture to roasting pan. Bake snack mix at 350 ℉ for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Cool; store in air tight container at room temperature.
NOTE: Sweet Bean Snack Mix
Make snack mix as above, substituting 1 tablespoon honey and 1 tablespoon apple juice for the Worcestershire Sauce and 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg and 1 teaspoon ground allspice for the chili, garlic and onion powders and paprika.
Courtesy American Dry Bean Board.